A hair straightener, also known as a flat iron, is a hairstyling tool used to straighten the hair. Now, a hair straightener is normally used on wavy, curly (coiled) or kinky hair but it too can be used on straight hair since the hair straightener allows for the straightened locks to be styled as layers. While hair straighteners are most commonly used by women, flat irons do also serve a great styling purpose for men with medium length (or longer) hair. Used erroneously, however, hair straighteners will fry your hair and damage it beyond repair.
A hair straightener aka flat iron
A hair straightener is a clipping device in that it has two plates that are closed and clipped together, with a single lock (or several) of hair clipped in between the 2 plates. The hair straightener heats up, and it is the expelled heat that temporarily modifies (i.e. straightens) the hair. Because of the extreme heat that the hair is subjected to, you as a male must precisely know how to use a hair straightener, for there is no room for error.
How to use a hair straightener or flat iron
- Clean your hair prior to straightening the hair. The hair should be clean and you should master the No Shampoo method for this.
- Dry the hair: unlike for styling, you want the hair in this scenario to be thoroughly dried. It should not be left wet or damp.
- Apply some heat protection serum to the hair. This is very important as it will minimize any damage from the heat of the hair straightener.
- Grab a section of the hair, consisting of either 1 lock or several locks, and place the hair in between the 2 parts of the hair straightener. Try to place the hair straightener as close to the scalp as possible.
- Close the plates of the hair straightener so they’re clipped with the chosen segments of the hair in between the plates.
- Run the hair straightener smoothly in one go till the end of the lock/s.
- Repeat on any new locks you want straightened.
Easy, huh? Follow the tips below to ensure you get the most out of your hair straightener.
Tips to straighten your hair with a flat iron
- Use the lowest temperature in the setting; this is typically 120 degrees Celsius (240 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Use a high-quality hair straightener; buy one that is ceramic made like the one recommended below. Ceramic hair straighteners last many times longer than cheaper non-ceramic alternatives.
- If you have very curly hair (e.g. kinky hair), it is a good idea to lightly blow dry the hair prior to straightening the hair with the flat iron. Remember, you also use the lowest temperature with the blow dryer (aka hair dryer).
Recommended hair products to straighten your hair with a flat iron
- Hair straightener: purchase the HSI flat iron, which was reviewed by Paolo.
- Heat protection serum: puchase this serum at Amazon.
- Blow dryer: purchase this blow dryer at Amazon for the highest quality. A cheaper good-quality alternative on Amazon is this one.
I recommend you to invest in the above products if you want to straighten your hair because, by having the daily option of straightening your locks (be they wavy, curly, kinky or even straight shaped), you are then able to have a wider array of hairstyles open for you such as the Zyzz hairstyle or the Neymar Mohawk. And remember, if you decide to straighten your hair with a hair straightener, do it the right way as per this article!
All the best, gents.
For your male grooming needs, visit the Barbershop Forums, the mens style and fashion community with some epic male grooming stuff thrown in!